Adams Middle School
Students’ Dress Code and Grooming Policy
There appears to be a definite relationship between appropriate dress, good work habits, and proper school behavior. Recognizing the relationship between personal dress and personal attitude, students are encouraged to dress in a manner that demonstrates pride both in themselves and in their school.
The following guidelines shall apply to attendance at school and all school activities and events:
- Students are expected to be neat, clean and appropriately attired for school.
- Pajamas are not allowed at school, unless an approved spirit day.
- Shoes appropriate for school activities must be worn at all times. Closed toe and closed back are to be worn at all times. No slippers or house shoes or shoes with high heels are allowed. Students must have proper shoes for PE (Crocs, Toms, Uggs and ballet flats are not proper shoes) and students will earn a non-dress for the day if proper footwear is not worn. Non-dress days may adversely affect students’ grades.
- Clothes shall be sufficient to conceal undergarments at all times. See-through fabrics, sheer, fishnet fabrics (clothing with large holes), halter tops, off the shoulder, low cut tops, and bare midriffs are not allowed. See through shirts may be worn over t-shirts that meet dress code. Tank tops should be approximately 1” wide at the shoulder to cover undergarments.
- Undergarments may not be visible (i.e. boys – underwear/boxers; girls – bras, undershirts or underwear).
- ALL skirts and shorts must be as long as the longest finger when hands are placed to the student’s side, unless the student is wearing leggings.
- Sagging and/or baggy pants are not to be worn. Pants need to be properly fitted and/or worn with a belt. Pants may not drag on or touch the ground.
- No long parka-type coats will be allowed.
- No facial piercings or piercings that pose a safety risk of any kind are allowed.
- Dress, accessories and jewelry which contain obscene symbols, signs or slogans, and/or which slur or degrade on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, sex, disability or sexual orientation, contain language or symbols supporting sex, drugs, alcohol, or tobacco, and impose a threat of imminent violence or disruption to the orderly operation of the school shall not be worn.
- Only Adams Middle School hats are allowed on campus. No hats, hoods, or beanies may be worn indoors for both boys and girls. AMS hats are available for purchase at registration and in the front office.
- Students’ faces must be fully visible at all times. Masks are not allowed.The principal, staff, students and parents/guardian at each school may establish reasonable dress and grooming regulations for times when students are engaged in extra-curricular or other special school activities.
Students appearing on school grounds in violation of the dress code will be counseled and given PE clothes to wear or, as appropriate, sent home to change clothing.
A student who willfully and continuously violates the dress code may be subject to disciplinary action, including but not limited to detention or a suspension from school.
RBUSD Secondary Schools:
Dress Code Violation Consequences