Dear Students and Families:
Welcome to the 2014 – 2015 school year! Our commitment at Adams Middle School is to provide a safe, positive, intellectual learning environment that will empower students to become creative problem solvers, critical thinkers, and inspired learners prepared for high school, college, and life in the twenty-first century.
As I enter into my fourth year as principal, I would like to continue setting high expectations for our students in regards to academic performance within the classroom, participation in co-curricular activities as well as responsible citizenship at school and in the community. I am asking each student to make a commitment to having Eagle PRIDE (Personal Responsibility In Daily Efforts) by being active participants in their learning and acting responsibly as an individual within our learning community. Doing so will enable all to have a successful and enjoyable school year.
Common Core State Standards (CCSS) will be fully adopted this year. CCSS makes for a more rigorous approach to learning as students will be challenged to develop their analytical skills, communicate their learning verbally, in writing, and/or in a presentation. Every student will receive a Google Chromebook to be used as a learning tool inside the classroom and at home. Over the summer, our staff participated in a Google Summit to learn how to use Google Applications to plan their lessons to allow for more real time collaboration with their students and increase their 21st century learning experiences.
Middle school is a time of a change. It is an exciting time, but it can also be challenging with the increase in workloads and the social adjustment to being on a larger campus and having multiple teachers through the course of the day. Eagles, I encourage you to do the following so you can be successful in your transition and time in middle school:
- Communicate with others in a respectful and meaningful way.
- Pose questions, examine possibilities, and challenge yourself to find solutions.
- Surround yourself with positive people.
- Make positive choices related to physical and mental wellness; and
- Contribute to our school community in a collaborative respectful manner.
Parents, please make time to:
- Ask your student(s) specific questions about their time at school. For example, “What was the most interesting thing you did in math class today?” or “Tell me about your science experiment?”
- Use the Parent Portal early and often. The Portal will give you relevant information regarding your child’s performance on their homework, a test or quiz as well as their attendance. Your interest and concern in their school progress will motivate them to do their best.
- Communicate with your child’s teachers and staff members to establish a successful home/school connection. All of our teachers have classroom websites with their contact information, homework assignments, and useful resources.
We are looking forward to a positive, upbeat school year at Adams. I encourage all students to connect with our school; stand up to mistreatment, vandalism, and to anything you know is not right. Remind yourself you do not have to follow the crowd. Be yourself and even when no one is watching, do the right thing. Parents, please help us by reinforcing school expectations at home. With your help, Adams will continue to be a school community in which every person feels respected, valued, and is encouraged and challenged to achieve at the highest levels.
I encourage you all to be active in our PTSA and the Redondo Beach Education Foundation. Our partnership is essential for our continued success. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and know that my door is always open.
I am excited for the opportunity to work with you and your student to provide a productive and safe learning environment that supports student success. Once again, welcome to Adams Middle School! I am honored to serve as your principal