Dear Students and Families:
I hope that all of you had a pleasant summer and had some time for rest and relaxation. I am looking forward to a great school year ahead. Welcome back to our returning students, and we all welcome our newcomers to the Adams family. We are proud of our staff and students and invite you to get to know our school. I encourage you to become involved by volunteering or visiting school when you can. It is with great pleasure that I welcome you, as part of our educational family, to the 2013-2014 school year.
A new school year is always an exciting time for all. It presents opportunities for various beginnings – new classes, new faces, sometimes new courses, new expectations, a busier schedule, more choices and often new materials. The next three years are a time for growth, challenge and adventure. Your child’s time at Adams will be exciting and filled with many new opportunities.
Middle school is a time of a change. The workloads and social adjustments are greater here than at the elementary level. The campus is larger, there are more students, and your child will now have multiple teachers throughout the day. At the beginning of each school year, parents frequently ask questions about what they can do to support their child during the middle school years. Middle school can be challenging at times, but there are several simple things that will help students achieve success.
Parents, please take time to:
- Talk with your child about their school day. Ask them specific questions about their time at school. For example, “What was the most interesting thing you did in math class today?” or “Tell me about your science experiment?”
- Review your child’s grades on the Parent Portal. The Portal will give you relevant information regarding your child’s performance on their homework, a test or quiz as well as their attendance. Your interest and concern in their school progress will motivate them to do their best.
- Maintain contact with your child’s teachers and staff members to establish a successful home/school connection. All of our teachers have classroom websites with their contact information, homework assignments, and useful resources.
Students, here are some tips to help you get started with your transition:
- Make reminders and plan ahead.
- Use your school planner/agenda.
- Make time for homework and assignments.
- Check your grades frequently on the Portal.
- Break big projects into smaller ones.
- Prepare the night before.
- Get involved at school. Join a club or participate in intermural sports.
Our goal is to challenge your child academically, grow them socially and emotionally, and guide them toward independent thinking and problem solving. Students will be encouraged to display good character and to make good choices that will result in successful outcomes. We are looking forward to a great school year filled with enriching activities and learning experiences that will help your child display “Eagle Pride!”
Our school learning community is strengthened by our partnerships. The active participation of students, staff, families, and community organizations are essential for our continued success. I encourage you all to be active in our PTSA and the Redondo Beach Education Foundation. As we go through the school, I welcome the opportunity to meet all of you. Please know that I have an open door policy and you are invited to Adams anytime.
We are looking forward to a positive, upbeat school year at Adams. I encourage all students to stand up to mistreatment, vandalism, and to anything you know is not right. Remind yourself you do not have to follow the crowd. Be yourself and even when no one is watching, do the right thing. Parents, please help us by reinforcing school expectations at home. With your help, Adams will continue to be a school community in which every person feels respected, valued, and is encouraged and challenged to achieve at the highest levels.
I look forward to working with you and your child throughout the school year to provide a productive and safe learning environment that supports student success. Once again, welcome to Adams Middle School.