The goal of physical education is to develop physically literate individuals who have the knowledge, skills and confidence to enjoy a lifetime of healthful physical activity.
To pursue a lifetime of healthful physical activity, a physically literate individual:
- Has learned the skills necessary to participate in a variety of physical activities.
- Knows the implications of and the benefits of involvement in various types of physical activities.
- Participates regularly in physical activity.
- Is physically fit.
- Values physical activity and its contributions to a healthful lifestyle
Respect – Students are expected to show respect for themselves, their classmates, their teacher, & any PE equipment/facilities at all times.
Effort – Students are expected to be on time, prepared, and participate to the best of their abilities each and every class.
Attitude – Students are expected exhibit a cooperative and positive attitude consistent with the school’s Student Behavior Code & Citizenship standards.
Listening – Students are expected to be attentive and to follow teacher instructions at all times.
The grading policy is largely based on a daily points system. Students can earn 10 points each class (see rubric below). The daily points are divided as follows:
- 5 points - Participation & Effort
- 5 points- Uniform, sportsmanship, conduct
In addition to daily points, students will be assessed periodically for proficiency in and understanding of movement/sports concepts, and fitness components.
**Students with legitimate absences may complete a make-up assignment to earn points for days missed. Students who do not complete the make-up will earn 0 points for that day. Students have one week upon their return to school to complete the assignment. **
Daily Grading Rubric
- Participation & Effort (5 possible points)
5 - Always participates and puts forth best effort
4 - Regularly participates, needs occasional push
3 - Participates approximately 50% of the time
2 – Sometimes participates, needs regular push
1 – Rarely participates and puts forth minimal effort
0 - Does not participate
- Sportsmanship & Conduct
A student who has a cooperative, positive attitude, and is meeting all behavioral expectations will earn points.
Student is fully dressed out in AMS PE shirt, AMS shorts or sweats, and supportive athletic shoes with laces to earn uniform points. There are no partial points.
1st & 2nd non-suit=3 point deduction
3rd, 4th , 5th non-suit=4 point deduction
6th non-suit and any subsequent non-suits=5 point deduction
**TOMS, UGGS, ballet flats, etc, are not suitable for PE and will result in a non-suit.**
**In addition to a loss of points, students with 5 non-suits, will automatically earn a mark of "N" in citizenship. Non-suits beyond the 5th result in a "U" mark for citizenship.
- Medical Excuse Assignment- Should be completed by students who are present in class, but unable to participate in activities due to illness or injury.
- PE Make Up Workout- should be completed within one week of a legitimate absence.