Where Everybody Belongs WEB
More and more studies show that if students have a positive experience their first year in middle school, their chances for success increase dramatically. WEB provides the structure for 6th graders to receive support and guidance from 8th graders who have been through the challenges that middle school poses and understand that the transition to a larger school can sometimes be overwhelming.
WEB also acts as an anti-bullying program by providing it with a cadre of student leaders who look for bullying behavior and help stop it. WEB gives older students permission to be aware of and report any negative behavior they see, creating a safer school for everybody.
WEB is a yearlong transition program with three components that contribute to its success:
- Middle School Orientation - WEB Leaders and 6th graders start building the mentor relationship and receive information about how to be successful in middle school
- Academic Follow Ups - WEB Leaders support 6th grade academic success and character development through classroom visits
- Social Follow Ups - WEB Leaders and 6th graders connect outside the classroom at social events to increase student engagement and promote positive school climate
Interested in WEB?
Applications for WEB are released in the spring. The form is online and will be announced in both the parent weekly newsletter and Eagles Online, the student communication Google Classroom. We look for students who meet the following criteria:
- Have strong communication skills
- Have a willingness to lead others
- Are responsible enough to manage a group
- Are accountable to show up throughout the year
- Are willing to take risks
- Are interest in helping others
- Can act as a positive role model
- Are dedicated
- Are self-confident and self-directed
- Have respect for diverse ideas and personalities
- Are enthusiastic
- ABOVE ALL, ARE A KIND PERSON!
We can't wait to meet our new WEB leaders. Students will be notified via email if they are selected in early May. Thank you in advance for applying to serve your school!
What is WEB
WEB, or Where Everybody Belongs, is an 8th grade middle school orientation and transition program that welcomes 6th grade students and helps them feel comfortable throughout their first year of their middle school experience. Through this nationally recognized middle school transition program, members of the 8th grade class are trained to act as positive role models, mentors, and teachers who guide the 6th graders to discover what it takes to be successful in middle school. Schools have reported that the WEB middle school transition program has enhanced anti-bullying efforts, reduced discipline issues, and increased school safety, creating an improved school climate and a greater sense of connection for the whole school.